Principle of Femininity


We looked previously in this series about the principle of separation used to help define the standard for dress. God has clearly laid out that there is a gender distinctiveness that He created. Taking this a little further, I believe that God wants my dress to be unquestionably feminine. It is sad when we live in a day and age where there are people trying to say that there is no difference between men and women. God made a difference and wants this difference to be kept clear.
~
God made me a woman – free from masculinity. God’s desire is for me to be feminine. When I looked up the definition of feminine I found one to say: Feminine= girlish. A list of synonyms that followed which included: dainty, female, ladylike, soft, tender. I liked that so much. Is this not a great illustration of femininity? God made us to be soft and tender, dainty and girlish. Not because we are incapable of doing manly things – but because that is not our job description.


It is laid out in the New Testament that there are different purposes for the men and the women of the church. In I Timothy 2:9,10 it reads: “In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety… but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works”. Modesty has as much to do with my spirit as it does the clothing that I wear – that is how it is mentioned in this passage – first it talks about the apparel and then goes into the spirit – (with shamefacedness and sobriety).

The spirit of a godly woman understands that God created her to be feminine – with a spirit unique and different from the opposite sex. That is not to say that the woman is physically weak and refined to a life of needlework in a stuffy and dimly lit room. A study of the Virtuous woman in Proverbs 31 will show that strenth and stamina envelop this godly woman. This godly woman was strong, active and hard working; but her departometn was always of grace a spirit of graciousness.

When the world is saying that there is not a difference between men and woman – and I choose to be unquestionable feminine in my attir (to be biblical), those looking on will notice. The sad thing about Christianity today is that often we are concerned that the world is looking at us – and as we notice their glances we cower in fear – fear of their opinion or their label.

Our hearts should be brought to conviction when the world no longer notices a difference – not because they are not looking - but because there is nothing different to be seen!


Because I believe that God desires for me to be unquestionable feminine there are some things that I choose not to wear. Pants have always been a sign of masculinity. If you do not believe me, check out the restroom doors at the next public place you visit. This is a clear indication to me that even the world knows that pants define a man and a dress defines a woman. For that reason I have chosen that if I am to be unquestionable feminine – pants cannot be a part of my wardrobe.

Nothing about the way I am dressed should be able to transcend the sexes. Since God created me to be feminine, the question I ask myself is, "What attire will most enhance my God given makeup as a woman?" (In other words, how can I look most like a lady and be as feminine as possible?) The answer, clearly defined in my mind, is in a dress or skirt. As I have evaluated the choices of clothing that surround me, I have decided to choose what will best define the gender disticitve line.

A dress or a skirt is the attire that keeps God's gender distinctions obvious.

The world needs to see the grace and tender spirit femininity offers. For years, feminists have done their best to say that Christianity degrades and devalues a woman. I am of the firm belief that feminists and their agenda have done more to devalue a woman than Christianity ever has or ever will! (A point I will cover in the next post.)

2 comments:

TO BECOME said...

Great Post. love it. connie

Can't wait for the next one.

Diane Shiffer said...

coming back to re-read this wonderful article...♥