One Week




A View of the Sunset from our front porch


It’s Friday.  One week until the scheduled surgery.  We have family coming down to be with us for the big day.  The house is being cleaned – and organized.  School books and work stations have been arranged for the upcoming school year.  Paperwork has been gone through; vehicles have been serviced and ready for the trips to Charlotte. 

We have been busy doing everything we know to build up Rob’s body and have it as strong as we can for the surgery.  The tumor is still there.  I have wanted to wake up – feel his neck and be able to declare, “It’s gone!”  That has not happened.  His weight continues to go down; loosing an average of 3-4 pounds a week.  Rob still is battling considerable fatigue and weakness at times.  It comes and goes.  He still has continued to go to work and carry on pretty much like normal despite how tired he feels physically.  (I have always been so thankful for a husband that is a hard worker!)

There is so much we do not know.  They are not sure the exact type of cancer we are dealing with (there has been several tests done and much debate between doctors on what we are looking at and what type of cells are causing the tumor).  We have found out that this is pretty common for thyroid cancer – a fact I did not know two months ago.  The doctor has called and told us that the bottom line is that we will not know what we are looking at until she is able to get him opened up.  She also told us that there is no way to know for sure how long the surgery will be – she gave a time frame of anywhere from an hour and a half to four and a half hours  - depending on what she finds.  There has been so much uncertainty.  There are so many questions that do not have answers. 

I will say this – and I hope it comes out right:  When they told us that we had to wait three plus weeks till they could get him into surgery – I thought that I would grow crazy with waiting!  However, these past weeks have been some of the sweetest days we have had as a couple and as a family.  God has been here – with us!  His presence has been so real.  Our focus has been adjusted and in the viewing – it has been amazing how different life looks!  We have sat around the table as a family and talked about Heaven, the millennial reign of Christ, salvation, sanctification and faith – not normal dinner time topics!    I   know this will sound odd – but I would not trade the last couple of weeks for all the money in the world.  The promises of God’s Word have been held close to my heart and the Holy Spirit has given indescribable peace and comfort. 

So, tomorrow – we will celebrate Rob’s birthday as a family.  He will be 48.  Then, next week we will start all the preparations needed to get him ready for surgery.  I will find myself amazed that we are ‘here’ at this time in our lives.  I am sure that I will spend time remembering the good times God has given us together; and I know I will continue to pray and ask God to give us 25 more years together!  There is still so much more that we want to do; so many things we feel God wants us to accomplish together as a couple!  So, I can assure you that I will pray and ask God for a miracle.  He still does them  - you know!   

No comments: