Happy Anniversary!


I am married to my best friend. We have been married for so long that we know what the other is thinking and finish each other's sentences. We love being together; and there is no one else on the face of this earth I would rather spend time with other than him. He is a wonderful father to our children; and when I watch him with them - I stand amazed at his patience, love and self sacrificing attitude towards them. I know that he would give his very life for the safety and well being of our family - and this makes me feel secure in his love. We have been married now for 17 years.


The other night we sat and watched the video from our wedding. So much had changed. There were family members on the video that are no longer with us. Our eyes filled with tears as we saw the faces of family members whom we have loved, and said good bye. Change. We laughed as we looked at the clothing and hair styles - that most definitely had changed!! We watched as our flower girls and ring bearers carefully made their steps up the isle. They too have changed. Now, they are all old enough to have families of their own - adults now, living their lives. Ah, and yes, we had changed! The color of my husband's hair has changed from dark to gray; and my hair color? Well, we will not go into detail - but it has changed too - more than once!!


Almost everything in the video had changed. Life means change. Even our love has changed. As we watched and remembered we could see how alive our love was; but so shallow. Now, because of all the changes life has made - our love has matured and grown. We listened as we said our vows to one another. We spoke of commitment we did not understand. The vows we said to one another that June evening seventeen years ago spoke of one theme - COMMITMENT! We now understand that "For better OR for worse" should really be said - "For better AND for worse" because in every marriage there are " betters" and there are "worsts". We were young then, we did not know all that life would hand us; nor just what the cost would be to honor those vows spoken in hushed reverent tones that night; but now we do. We understand the high cost of commitment. We understand what it means now to honor your word above your feelings. You see, 17 years ago we spoke those vows not just to one another but also to God Himself. He expects us to honor those vows. "Till Death do us Part" means just that. There will be times in every marriage when it will be easier to "follow your heart" than to honor your word; but God expects us to honor those sacred vows. Those vows spoken that day are only to be broken by death itself.


I am so glad that God has given me 17 wonderful years with the man of my dreams. I am married to my best friend; and I am so happy God has given him to me. Thanks Dear for the wonderful years. I look forward to the years to come! I love you


3 comments:

Robert Spurgeon said...

You're such an encouragement to me!iTS SO GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE WHO LOVES THEIR SPOUSE SO MUCH

Robert Spurgeon said...

thanks for sharing!

Robert Spurgeon said...

THANKS FOR SHARING