Cooking & Dreaming

Our little one is due her tomorrow afternoon for her first overnight visit at our house. Today was busy preparing for the hectic week ahead.

I decided that I need to have this week as work free as possible so I am able to spend time with the baby and have her bond with me as her new Mama. It seems that a lot of time goes into planning, preparing and picking up food. So, last night I sat down and made a menu for the week with plans to fix those dishes today and freeze them for the week ahead. That way I would have the planning and preparation done as far as this weeks meals are concerned. (I figure I have 4 children who do wonderful with the pickup - so I will leave that area up to them!)

This afternoon I stayed busy fixing several dishes for the week ahead. Here is what I put together:

Farmhouse Chicken - (A recipe I found at Tammy's Recipes)
Egg Bake
Chicken Wild Rice Soup - (Also known to us as Missionary soup - for it is one often fixed when entertaining missionaries and guest speakers after Sunday evening services ;) .
Taco Bake
Chicken Broccoli Biscuit Bake


I also browned up some sausage for Spaghetti Sauce that I will make tomorrow and enough also for the pizza I am planning on having made for tomorrow's dinner.

This is what my kitchen looked like when I got done with the cooking.

Here is what is left on my menu to make tomorrow morning:
Bean Burritos
Corn Bread
Refrigerator Muffins - (8 Grain Muffins)
Waffles - (I will double my batch - cook them tomorrow and then freeze them for later on this week)
Chicken Noodle Soup
Spaghetti Sauce
Chili
4 Loafs of Bread - ( one to go to the foster family when they drop of our new little one in the afternoon)

I am doing laundry this evening while I am blogging and planning on hanging it on the line to dry first thing in the morning. I will try to remember to take pictures of the clothes on the line - for this will be the first time in a long time that I will have little girl baby clothes on the line.

I can not wait to get my little one here tomorrow afternoon. I did go over this evening and did her nightly care with her. I got to feed her cereal and her bottle, give her a bath, get her dressed for bed and rock her to sleep. It was wonderful! It also was neat when I drove up to the house - her foster Mom ( whom we are now calling Grandma) was sitting on the steps with her waiting for me to arrive. When I got out of the van and started walking over to her - she started getting excited and smiling at me. I think we are heading in the right direction for her to be bonding with us as a family. I am still so amazed at God's goodness to us and His blessing to us. I still can not believe that we have her - what a wonderful surprise from God above!

Well, I have a busy day ahead tomorrow - best get to bed and get some sleep. I think I know who I will be dreaming about tonight.

Blessings,
~Martie

9 comments:

Becky K. said...

Look at all that you have accomplished! That is a lot of food. I am sure you will be thankful for that in the weeks to come.
Becky K.

Val said...

This is my first visit with you so I had to go back and read past posts to catch up on your life. This is such an exciting story. What a Mothers day gift. You sound like such an organized woman. Congrats and a special "Happy Mothers Day" to you. I will be checking back to see how the baby and you are doing.

Nettie said...

Wow! What a blessing it will be to have those meals already prepared. And congratulations on receiving that sweet baby into your home! She is so precious!

Susan said...

A lot of hard work now, but what a blessing it will be next week as you and the baby adjust to each other!

Michelle said...

Congratulations!! Preparing meals ahead of time will be a HUGE help too. Praying for you and your family as you transition your new little one. :)

TO BECOME said...

As I was reading your post,the music started playing and I just started crying, I am sooo happy for you all. The meals and planning are a great idea. Give that sweet baby a little hug for me. connie from Texas

~~Deby said...

Oh Martie,
This is just so wonderful...and different dimension to Mother's Day for you this year.
Happy Mother's Day
Deby

Simply Heart And Home said...

Martie,

You are so organized and everything is ready. May your first week be filled with nothing but snuggles and love!

Gina

Maggie Ann said...

I'm glad you showed that 'after' picture of you kitchen. You had me feeling a little guilty there for a minute, then I found we had something in common after all...smile. A sweet thing...love. Even with all the work & planning.