Book Review - Climbing- by Rosalind Goforth


Recently, I had the privilege of sitting down and reading about missionary Rosalind Goforth. How this book challenged my thinking and inspired my resolve that serving Christ is the best way to spend one's life!


Rosalind Goforth was the wife a Jonathan Goforth - missionary to China in the late 1800's and into the early 1900's. I was overwhelmed by the many sacrifices that she made on the field. One of which was burying 5 of her children there! I cried as I read of her account of her children being taken home to Heaven. I understood completely when she talked of her fear of loosing her other children to death - especially when they would be taken ill. I was inspired at her commitment to prayer when she would find her child sick and would go to God asking Him to bring healing to her child.


I laughed when she tells of the account where she defied her husband's wishes stating that she "must have her way sometimes!" Her independent spirit was short lived as she opened up her Bible the next morning to find the verses she was scheduled to memorize were none other than Ephesians 5:22-24!


"Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and He is the saviour of the boy. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ so let the wives be to their own husband in everything."


She gave an account in her book of how she lost her temper with some of the Chinese people - those for which they had come to China to share the good news of Christ's love for them. As she gave the account, I could not help but understand just how easy it was for her to respond to their unkind comments about her and her home. Yet, in a spirit on honesty and meekness she told about how God (and her husband) helped her to see how the Holy Spirit was not the one in control during her outburst.


It was wonderful to read her story. I am so thankful that she put it 'all' in there. How easily we leave out the ugly and put in the good. I read a story about a missionary wife who made mistakes and allowed God through those mistakes to mold her and draw her closer to Himself. It truly was an inspiration for me to read.


You can purchase the book Climbing by Rosalind Goforth here. You will not be disappointed and your spirit will be challenged by this great lady of faith!


1 comment:

Paul and Vicki Young said...

Hi, I just googled Climbing and ended up with your blog. I love this book and want to read it on librivox.org where they put free audio books online, but I'm not sure it's old enough yet. I'd like to meet Rosalind in Heaven for a chat.
Vicki missionary in South Africa