The Question


I was in the kitchen this morning getting things around for breakfast. Zak came down. Dressed. In yesterday's clothes. Now, I have nothing against wearing clothes more than once before laundering; but the shirt he had on showed definite signs of needed washing - and it was only 6:30 in the morning!


I showed him the problem areas and told him it would be best if he would put that shirt into the hamper so I could tend to it later. I sent him on his way back upstairs to change into a fresh shirt for the day.


A few moments passed. He returned. Looking mighty handsome - I might say; with shirt tucked in and zipper even zipped. (A small victory that has been happening quite regularly here - and a battle of reminders that has been going on for over 6 years! - Yes, I am quite pleased that I am FINALLY seeing results!) :)


I continued making breakfast. As I poured the water into the coffee maker I was taken back by the question I heard. "Mom, does this shirt make me look fat?" I had to pierce my lips firmly shut to keep the laughter from coming out. Zak - the little man who eats everything in sight but looks like he has gone a few meals with nothing. That very same Zak is asking me if the shirt he has on makes him look fat!


My mind went racing. Where in the word did he get a question like that? Why would he think that he would look fat in anything? Then I remembered it was Zak. Zak who hears everything and has everything he hears get up into that brain of his - and then get scrambled. Anything and everything at any time can come out! This question just happened to be coming out at 6:30 in the morning! I knew the moment I heard it that I was going to have a good day. How can you not - when you get asked that question by the skinniest kid in your household?


"No, Son, you look very handsome this morning. The shirt does not make you look fat at all!" I replied confidently.


He looked straight into my eyes and asked, "Are you sure?"


He was so sincere with his question; that duty bounded me to make sure I hid the pure delight of my heart and swallow the smile that was threatening to escape my lips. I looked him straight into the eye and answered. "Positive!"


"Good!" He then took the bowls and headed over to the table to help me set it for breakfast.


Man, I love that kid! He makes me laugh every. single. day.


Enjoying being with him - and all of them - all day long from morning to night!


Thanks for stopping by. I am so glad you did.


Blessings,

~Martie

No comments: