My First "Children's Book Monday"

Elise hosts a Children's Book Monday - I thought I would give it a try. I am hopeful that this will cause me accountability to read to my children more - and thus have new books to post about. I so fondly remember my Mother reading to me as a child. Oh how I loved to hear her read to me. I remember begging her, "Just one more chapter" - not because I did not want to go to bed; but I loved hearing her read.

This Monday, I thought I would post about a book that has been an all time favorite of mine since fourth grade. I read McGuffey's readers in school and although I have read the entire set of them, the Fourth reader is my favorite!


My favorite work from the fourth McGuffey is actually a poem. "Which" by Mrs E.L. Beers. I have read this one to my children so many times. I have read it to myself multiple more times than ever my children have heard it! It is a poem about a family so poor they are hardly making it through life. Their seven children suffer from their poverty also. All their financial hardships are given opportunity for change following an offer made to the struggling couple. Another person - (I assume childless and in desperate need to fill the silence in his home with the laughter of a child) has offered to care for the family - meeting most, if not all, of the large families monetary needs. The offer is promise is theirs if they give but one of their seven children to lonely man.

Which shall it be? Which shall it be?
I looked at John 0 John looked at me; ...


"Come John", said I,
"We'll choose among them as they lie
Asleep;" so, walking hand in hand,
Dear John and I surveyed our band.


I will let you find this poem and find out the conclusion of their heart wrenching decision.


The other favorite from this book is the story entitled : "My Mother's Grave." I remember reading this story in class. I remember it still so vividly I could show you where I was standing when I read my section audibly in front of the classroom. I can remember the tears welling up in my eyes as I read of a girl whose chosen wrong attitude caused her heartache her entire life long. I remember vowing as a fourth grade student, to treat those I love with respect and care.

Please stop by Elise's place. She is most gifted with her words and inspires my heart with her gentle ways.

Thanks for stopping by,
~Jane

3 comments:

Mimi said...

not fair... now I have to find the poem to read the ending... I am one of those people who have to know how every story (or poem) ends......
great post!!

TO BECOME said...

Enjoyed your post but I don't have the book or children at home and I hate not knowing how the poem ends although I can guess how I would have ended it. I hope that is the way it ends. With the family staying together. I hope. connie from Texas

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, goodness. I read some of McGuffey's primers as a child, and loved poetry, but I don't remember these! I can't wait to crack them open again and pore through... I was thinking that my boys are too young, but now I'm not so sure...
Thank you so much for joining in! What a great recommendation!