Rachel updated Wed PM

When we returned home from the hospital on Monday night, Rachel was having great trouble with her headache, backache and nausea. We had hoped that once she got home and got some rest these things would ease up. That was not how it was to be.

Tuesday was not a good day as the headache was worse than ever. However, we were able to get a small bowl of mashed potatoes down and one yogurt! (This is about all she has had to eat since last Thursday.) So while we were making progress on the swallowing; we were not getting anywhere with the headaches.

This morning I woke up to find her with the same horrible headache. Rob and I had agreed to wait through the night, and then call the doctor in the morning if the problem was the same. The doctor told me to take her to the nearest ER. We left at 10:30 AM. It was not a fun ride for her.

The started an IV and got some hefty drugs into her to try to stop the pain. They did not even touch the headache. It was agreed that she needed to be transferred to Children's again. They had doctors waiting for her there. When we got to Children's they agreed that it was a spinal headache from the spinal tap she received on Sunday morning. They took her in and did a blood patch. This is where they take blood from her arm and insert it into an area just above the where they got the spinal fluid for the spinal tap. The blood then clots and seals the leak that is coming from the spine.

They gave us the option of staying at the hospital until the headache was gone - anywhere from 2-3 days - or going home. We agreed that if they could get her medicated enough to make the trip home we would rather have her home with us. They did. We are back, 12 hours after first walking into a hospital this morning.

She has to stay completely flat on her back until Monday. We have a follow up appointment with a doctor on Friday - they will allow her to go to that. She then has to come home and go right to bed. PT and OT has to be canceled till they are able to get the headache under control. We are hoping to start her therapy again on Monday. It is hard to see these canceled because the therapy is what is getting her stronger for school. We are trusting that this is just a bump in the road and not a set back.

Just wanted to fill you in on life here. Thanks so much for your prayers. God is good. Before Zak left the hospital tonight he asked Rob if he could pray that Rachel's trip home would not hurt too much. When he prayed it was so sweet and sincere. God answered his prayer - the trip home was bearable for Rachel. We were excited to tell Zak that God answered His prayer. Such a comfort to know we can take everything to Him in prayer - and that He cares!

Thanks for stopping by - I am so glad you did.


1 comment:

Becky K. said...

Thanks for sharing about Zak too. That is just so sweet that it brought tears.


Becky K.